Monday, March 8, 2010

The Ham Pan


Do you remember the story of the woman who always cut both ends of her ham off before putting it in the pan to cook? When asked, she told her daughter that it was the way her mother had always made her ham. One day the daughter asked her grandmother about it and her grandmother said, "I don't know why your mother cuts off the ends of her ham but I had to do that so the ham would fit in my pan."

A couple days ago I was making some sweet tea for dinner and caught myself about to do something because that's the way my mother does it. Everyone does things a little different. My in-laws make boil water and the tea bags in a glass bowl in the microwave. My mother has always boiled water on the stove, taken it off the burner, put in the teabags, placed a saucer over the top of the pan and let it sit and steep before putting it in the pitcher.


Every time I make sweet tea (which isn't all that often) I catch myself about to do the same thing. It occurred to me the other day that my mom probably didn't have a lid that fit her pan. I, on the other hand, have a perfectly good lid that fits my pan just fine. So, rather than reaching for the saucer as I was about to do, I pulled out the lid and proceeded to make my sweet tea. Ah, the way our minds work! Now I'll have to go ask my mom to confirm the saucer/lid issue for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment